Give me a call; send me an e-mail. Let’s talk about your project and goals. The pricing below is sometimes negotiable, depending on an evaluation of your needs and time-frame. If we decide to work together, I will provide an agreement that outlines the specifics for your approval. I require a down payment of 50 percent of the total price before beginning.
My editing standards are based on the Chicago Manual of Style, the Associated Press Stylebook, and the Christian Writer’s Manual of Style contingent on the author’s preference or the intended audience. I receive most projects digitally, and I use the Microsoft Word track changes feature so that everyone involved is able to follow the copy editing process.
Critique – $50
Send me the first twenty pages of your book (up to 5000 words), a 100-word synopsis, and other pertinent information including your intended audience, your publication goals, your motivation to write this specific book, etc. I will evaluate the level of edit it deserves and give suggestions regarding theme, setting, character development, plot structure, and more.
Proofreading – $.01 per word
This is the final, polishing stage, done on hard copy so that I see what your reader will see. It is assumed that copy editing has already happened. I will query or correct the following:
- incorrect end-of-line word breaks and other formatting errors
- incorrect sequencing of numerical and alphabetical lists
- misspelled words, grammar and punctuation errors, word usage errors, and inconsistencies that may have escaped the previous editor
Copy Editing – $.02 per word
I will make suggestions regarding re-writing, plot holes, illogical text flow, alternate word usage, inaccurate descriptions, and awkward sentences, and I will query or correct the following:
- grammar errors
- incorrect spelling, tenses, punctuation, abbreviations, capitalization, and word usage
- inconsistencies in style
- inaccuracies in the table of contents
- missing citation information and permissions
- errors or inconsistencies that may have escaped a previous editor
Please note that if I find plagiarism, libel; sexual, racial, or other bias; lewd dialog and situations; or possible copyright violation, I will suspend the edit until I am able to contact you for an explanation or changes to be made. I reserve the right to discontinue an edit based on the possibilities listed in this paragraph and to invoice on a pro-rated basis.